Saturday, January 22, 2011

Fuzzibunz, a review and why I'm no longer supporting them.

Diaper crisis averted. I went out and bought some Fuzzibunz Large cloth diapers. so far I enjoy them... except the part where they're plastic. Polyester and polyurethane. I enjoy them, but I can't get over them being plastic.
I'm trying really hard to reduce my carbon footprint, and contribute less to landfill. I hope they last so that I may be able to pass them on to another cloth diaper mama. My only issue so far is how quickly they fill up. I'm changing him every 45 minutes or so right now. I had some problems with leaking, but when I went onto the website, it mentioned that sometimes they will leak if they're not adjusted tightly enough. Since tightening, I've had no problems. What have been a problem are diaper rashes. I'm just giving him more time to be his naked self, and it seems to be helping. The fleece is starting to get a little bit rough on the Fuzzibunz, but that's to be expected with fleece. Another comment on the fuzzibunz... I've heard about some copyright infringement on their part. When checking reviews on Amazon, I got this comment:

"Evolution Diapers has been patent pending for this design several years. Recently Fuzzi Bunz diapers came out with a design that was an exact copy of that patent pending design. Mother of Eden was notified of their violation and they continue to manufacture diapers that violate this design. They are a big company with millions of dollars of revenue making their diapers in China. Evolution Diapers is a small company based in the USA that makes their diapers from 90% USA made components in the USA by work at home mom's. Fuzzi Bunz is bankrupting this Mom's business by continuing to knowingly violate their rights. This mom is supporting her family of 8 on the income that is made from these diapers after her husbands layoff over 1 year ago. This family has lost a lot due to Fuzzi Bunz/ Mother of Eden's theft of their design." -Desert Mom

I've written to the makers of both Fuzzibunz and Evolution and hope to hear a reply. The people at Evolution diapers just got back to me. In all of 8 minutes. I'm impressed by their customer support. :]

The comment from Evolution diapers is:

"Evolution Diapers are now patented(while not yet published by the ever slow patent office), and we have not licensed the adjustable elastic technology to any other manufactures"


When asking whether the comment about their diapers being 90% USA made components was true, they replied saying:


"Our snaps are made in China, the current round of PUL is as well, then after this batch it is USA made, so a mix for the PUL. the Coolmax is made in the USA, the elastic is made in the USA. So its a mix. Also our diapera are being sewn in a... fair factory in Malaysia right now. Our wipes, wet bags, wool diapers are made in the USA.Everything we do with our products is with a clear direction of being ecofriendly and fair trade. We research each component before we buy from a manufacturer. Our Coolmax is also made with recycled water bottles and left over fabric and threads from the manufacturing process, so nothing is wasted. 
We source as much as we can in the USA, but unfortunately it is not always possible."

When asked if it was certified fair trade, I was assured that they're moving towards that and she is in touch with the family sewing the diapers. I hope everything goes well for her and her company, and will no longer support Fuzzibunz. I look forward to doing a review for Evolution diapers, and will leave all of these injustices aside when reviewing both Fuzzibunz and Evolution diapers in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...